Master Shake, more commonly known as Shake, is one of four main characters on Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The self-proclaimed leader of the Aqua Teens, Shake is the most erratic and selfish of the group, delivering misfortune to those around him, though his extreme stupidity and naivety frequently causes his various schemes to backfire on him.
As his name implies, Shake is a giant white drinking cup with a pink bendy straw protruding from his head. Although Master Shake does not have a nose, arms, or any reproductive organs, he does have two yellow hands with only four fingers connected to each side of him. His lack of arms is shown to make picking up objects somewhat difficult. While Shake doesn't have legs, he refers to his base as his "one thick ankle" in "Kangarilla and the Magic Tarantula." Just like Meatwad and Frylock, Shake occasionally wears clothing, but does not typically wear them.
Master Shake is incredibly selfish, narcissistic and self serving, helping others only if doing so will benefit himself. He possesses very little empathy towards the suffering of those less fortunate, and he completely disregards the rights of others, stealing and/or destroying their property at will, such as destroying the TV on multiple occasions. In addition, he literally has the temper of a spoiled child, frequently throwing tantrums if things do not go his way. This is observed in the episode PDA, where he throws a chair out of the window and tortures Meatwad when he suspected that he had stolen his PDA.
Shake is also shown to be incredibly unintelligent and naive, and he frequently concocts asinine schemes in order to get his own way. Fortunately, these schemes rarely turn out well for him, and he often feels the painful backlash whenever his plans fail. Not only does he seem incapable of seeing the various flaws in his plans, but he also legitimately doesn't seem to be able to help prevent himself from making bad decisions. His stupidity has frequently caused much damage to the city they live in, their own house, the various people he encounters and perhaps most frequent of all, himself. Due to his massive ego and narcissism, he very often, sometimes even purposely refuses to acknowledge his mistakes.
Shake is also incredibly lazy. He is incapable of holding any sort of job (if he actually manages to find one), and depends solely on Frylock to support him, and in "The", the Aqua Teens' house rapidly falls into total disrepair without Frylock's stabilizing influence. Due to being so self absorbed, Shake is proactive about leeching off of his friends.
Although he apparently lacks any kind of reproductive organs, Shake is actually incredibly lecherous towards women, despite being constantly rejected by them. He is also very boisterous about his sexual conquests, though Frylock points out that he lacks a penis and has never actually had sex with a woman.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Unlike his brothers Frylock and Meatwad, Shake does not appear to possess any kind of special or remotely useful powers. The only real power that he frequently displays is his ability to rhythmically contract his body and eject some type of thick, green fluid through his straw (which does absolutely nothing except splatter on the ground).
He also displays the odd ability to cause any object that he throws in either anger or disgust to explode in a small fireball, leaving a small crater where the object impacted (however, other characters have displayed this ability as well, meaning that this ability is not unique to Shake). Shake can also suck up water through the end of his straw, as shown in the episode, "Bus of the Undead."
Given his laziness and contempt for authority, most of Shake's actual paying jobs (not counting his get-rich-quick schemes that never pan out) have been forced on him by Frylock and never last very long.
The closest thing Shake has had to an actual job is likely found in the episode "Robositter," where he worked at "Slurp-a-Lunch" at the mall with Frylock as his supervisor. This job involved him turning meats, particularly ham, into smoothies. Shake quickly decided that the job was stupid and started goofing off. He even broke into a room that only managerial staff are allowed into, so he could steal and destroy the rain poncho that Frylock was working so hard for. The only other instance of Shake performing a relatively honest job was in the episode "Piranha Germs," where he was hired to spread a deadly disease.
Shake has also tried making many business deals, usually to scam others out of money. In "Dumber Days," he tried to take advantage of Meatwad's newfound intelligence by taking ten percent of Meatwad's profits by doing almost nothing. Shake also pulled a scam with Carl sometime before the events of "The Meat Zone." This involved selling a large amount of tacky merchandise to promote an oil stain on Carl's driveway that vaguely resembled Jesus. He also tried becoming a musician in "Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary," where he made a deal with Zakk Wylde to create a new birthday song to replace the old one. He pulled a similar stunt, when he tried to become a musician after Meatwad became famous in "Chicken and Beans." He also tried to patent the "Buddy Nugget" behind Frylock's back in the episode "Buddy Nugget."
He's also tried to be an assassin in both "2-And-a-Half-Star Wars Out Of Five" and "Working Stiffs." However, in the former, he tried too hard to be cool and missed every shot, and in the latter, he was too stupid to do anything right and abandoned Meatwad at the first sign of danger.
He's also tried getting into show business. He pitched Meatwad's comic book to [adult swim] in "Rocket Horse Jet Chicken," and he was an actor in "Deleted Scenes." He also stole the identities of a two famous rappers to release his own album in "A PE Christmas." He tried performing in "Antenna" and "Dummy Love." Furthermore, he had a hallucination about performing in "Hypno-Germ."
Shake has also held some miscellaneous jobs, such as being a circus freak in "Circus" or becoming a marine in "The Marines", both of which ended in failure and humiliation. He tried becoming a superhero in "Super Hero," but he did not succeed in any way, mostly because of his failed attempt to get super powers. He ruined Carl's car in a demolition derby in the episode "Kidney Car." He tried becoming a beta tester in "eDork" and "iAmaPod." In "Last Dance for Napkin Lad," it was supposedly revealed that Shake was actually a spy, and so were Frylock and Meatwad.
- In the movie, it is revealed that Shake can remove his straw.
- In the intros to both Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Aqua Something You Know Whatever he is known as "Shake Zula." This was also mentioned in "Dirtfoot."
- Shake appears to have no brain. This is because when Dr. Weird was creating him, he instead gave Shake half of his hair and his kidney to use as a brain, and he believed this would be enough to compensate for a brain.
- in the episode "Der Inflatable Fuhrer" it is implied that Shake is a scientologist and is revealed in the episode "Broodwich", to be a fan of Battlefield Earth and a collector of 7-11 cups related to the movie.
- In the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode, Baffler Meal, early versions of the entire Aqua Teen Hunger Force are shown. As a result, Master Shake's flavor is depicted to be that of chocolate ice cream. This was later changed due to the fact the show's creators and producers felt that chocolate resembled fecal matter. The green substance he ejects from his straw on occasion is suggested to be pistachio flavored ice cream, though this has not been confirmed or elaborated on.
- It seems like Shake has a taste for human flesh, eating Carl's dick and enjoying the flavor in Dickesode, as well as eating "Inside-Out Boy" after mistaking him for cherry cobbler left in the bathtub at the end of the episode Circus. Shake even ended up devouring Meatwad's dog, Carl, and a doctor's hands in order to satisfy his tattoo in Freedom Cobra.
- Shake is allergic to shellfish.
- In "Last Last One Forever and Ever", he is portrayed by H. Jon Benjamin, who wears a white jumpsuit, yellow gloves, and a backwards pink baseball cap (to mimic Shake's pink straw), and goes by the name "Don Shake."
- In 2010 during the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Live" tour, series creator Dave Willis confirmed that Dr. Weird is indeed the creator of Master Shake, Frylock, Meatwad, and Chicken Bittle, making them all brothers.
- In a Season 5 episode, Shake claims that he is 30 or 40 years old (despite acting like a teenager). In "Rabbot Redux", it is mentioned that Shake is almost 40 years old. In Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am, Frylock mentioned that "he was pushing 40".
- Shake is not depicted as being religious, but in the episode "Der Inflatable Fuhrer," it is implied that Shake is a Scientologist.
- Shake had previously been depicted as a fan of Battlefield Earth (and a collector of 7-11 Cups related to the movie) in the episode "Broodwich".
- Shake does not have his own bedroom in the house. The only mention of this in the show was at the end of "Handbanana". It is implied throughout the show he simply sleeps on the chair or the floor in the living room in front of the TV.
- In a 2009 interview, Snyder has said, "I’m into old showbiz stuff like Don Rickles, which I think reflects in Master Shake, of course. I always inject little secret nods to my old comedic heroes..." Co-creator and co-writer Willis said, "The guy who's the main voice of Master Shake, Dana Snyder, is really, really talented, and helped us take that character in a totally different direction."