Master Shake, more commonly known as Shake, is one of four main characters on Aqua Teen Hunger Force. The self-proclaimed leader of the Aqua Teens, Shake is the most erratic and selfish of the group, delivering misfortune to those around him, though his extreme stupidity and naivety frequently causes his various schemes to backfire on him.
As his name implies, Shake is a giant white drinking cup with a pink bendy straw protruding from his head. Although Master Shake does not have a nose, arms, or any reproductive organs, he does have two yellow hands with only four fingers connected to each side of him. His lack of arms is shown to make picking up objects somewhat difficult. While Shake doesn't have legs, he refers to his base as his "one thick ankle" in "Kangarilla and the Magic Tarantula." Just like Meatwad and Frylock, Shake occasionally wears clothing, but does not typically wear them.
First and foremost, Master Shake is a sociopath. He is incredibly selfish and self serving, helping others only if doing so will benefit himself. He possesses very little empathy towards the suffering of those less fortunate, and he completely disregards the rights of others, stealing and/or destroying their property at will. In addition, he literally has the temper of a child, frequently throwing tantrums if things do not go his way. This is observed in the episode PDA, where he throws a chair out of the window and tortures Meatwad when he suspected that he had stolen his PDA.
Shake is also shown to be incredibly unintelligent and naive, and he frequently concocts asinine schemes in order to get his own way. Fortunately, these schemes rarely turn out well for him, and he often feels the painful backlash whenever his plans fail. Not only does he seem incapable of seeing the various flaws in his plans, but he also legitimately doesn't seem to be able to help prevent himself from making bad decisions.
Shake is also incredibly lazy. He is incapable of holding any sort of job (if he actually manages to find one), and depends solely on Frylock to support him, and in "The", the Aqua Teens' house rapidly falls into disrepair without Frylock's stabilizing influence. Due to being so self absorbed, Shake is proactive about leeching off of his friends.
Although he apparently lacks any kind of reproductive organs, Shake is actually incredibly lecherous towards women, despite being constantly rejected by them. He is also very boisterous about his sexual conquests, though Frylock points out that he lacks a penis and has never actually had sex with a woman.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Unlike his brothers Frylock and Meatwad, Shake does not appear to possess any kind special or remotely useful powers. The only real power that he frequently displays is his ability to rhythmically contract his body and eject some type of thick, green fluid through his straw (which does absolutely nothing except splatter on the ground).
He also displays the odd ability to cause any object that he throws in either anger or disgust to explode in a small fireball, leaving a small crater where the object impacted (however, other characters have displayed this ability as well, meaning that this ability is not unique to Shake). Shake can also suck up water through the end of his straw, as shown in the episode, "Bus of the Undead."
- In the movie, it is revealed that Shake can remove his straw.
- In the intros to both Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Aqua Something You Know Whatever he is known as "Shake Zula." This was also mentioned in "Dirtfoot."
- Shake appears to have no brain. This is because when Dr. Weird was creating him, he instead gave Shake half of his hair and his kidney to use as a brain, and he believed this would be enough to compensate for a brain.
- In the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode, Baffler Meal, early versions of the entire Aqua Teen Hunger Force are shown. As a result, Master Shake's flavor is depicted to be that of chocolate ice cream. This was later changed due to the fact the show's creators and producers felt that chocolate resembled fecal matter. The green substance he ejects from his straw on occasion is suggested to be pistachio flavored ice cream, though this has not been confirmed or elaborated on.
- It seems like Shake has a taste for human flesh, eating Carl's dick and enjoying the flavor in Dickesode, as well as eating "Inside-Out Boy" after mistaking him for cherry cobbler left in the bathtub at the end of the episode Circus. Shake even ended up devouring Meatwad's dog, Carl, and a doctor's hands in order to satisfy his tattoo in Freedom Cobra.
- In "Last Last One Forever and Ever", he is portrayed by H. Jon Benjamin, who wears a white jumpsuit, yellow gloves, and a backwards pink baseball cap (to mimic Shake's pink straw), and goes by the name "Don Shake."
- In 2010 during the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Live" tour, series creator Dave Willis confirmed that Dr. Weird is indeed the creator of Master Shake, Frylock, Meatwad, and Chicken Bittle, making them all brothers.
- In a Season 5 episode, Shake claims that he is 30 or 40 years old (despite acting like a teenager). In "Rabbot Redux", it is mentioned that Shake is almost forty years old. In Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro-Am Frylock mentioned that "he was pushing 40".
- Shake is not depicted as being religious, but in the episode "Der Inflatable Fuhrer," it is implied that Shake is a Scientologist.
- Shake had previously been depicted as a fan of Battlefield Earth (and a collector of 7-11 Cups related to the movie) in the episode "Broodwich".
- Shake does not have his own bedroom in the house. The only mention of this in the show was at the end of "Handbanana". It is implied throughout the show he simply sleeps on the chair or the floor in the living room in front of the TV.
- In a 2009 interview, Snyder has said, "I’m into old showbiz stuff like Don Rickles, which I think reflects in Master Shake, of course. I always inject little secret nods to my old comedic heroes..." Co-creator and co-writer Willis said, "The guy who's the main voice of Master Shake, Dana Snyder, is really, really talented, and helped us take that character in a totally different direction."